🗳️ On October 10, 2023, the City Council voted to adopt resolution 23-3964, initiating a transition from an at-large to a district-based electoral system. This decision follows a demand letter from an attorney, and the city is now in the process of complying with the Elections Code Section 10010.
Here's the timeline for the adoption of district-based elections:
- August 26, 2023: City received a demand letter, triggering a 45-day period to adopt the resolution of intent by October 10, 2023.
- October 10, 2023: Resolution of intent adopted, and a CVRA lawsuit cannot be filed for 90 days (until January 8, 2024).
- October 11-23, 2023: Public outreach regarding the process.
- October 24, 2023: First public hearing on the composition of maps and public input (no draft maps drawn).
- October 26, 2023: (Special City Council meeting) Second public hearing on the composition of maps and public input (no draft maps drawn).
- November 7, 2023: Post draft map(s) and potential sequence of elections publicly.
- November 14, 2023: Third public hearing regarding draft maps, with input from the public.
- November 21, 2023: Post new or modified draft map(s) and potential sequence of elections publicly.
- November 28, 2023: (Special City Council meeting) Fourth public hearing regarding draft maps; select map and introduce ordinance.
- December 12, 2023: Fifth public hearing; second reading of the ordinance.
- January 8, 2024: Day 90 - Plaintiffs could file their CVRA lawsuit if the ordinance is not adopted.
- November 5, 2024: First district elections.
We encourage the public to actively participate in these meetings and hearings. Your engagement is vital in shaping the future electoral landscape of the city.To access additional resources and the district mapping tool visit this site: https://www.fillmoreca.gov/1316/District-Election-Based
Online map viewer can be access by clicking here